Saturday, December 03, 2005


Last night Miss Texas called me a "misguided elitist." We were having an argument about who was better: Billy Joel or Bruce Springsteen. Hey, if I'm an elitist because I can recognize the difference between a spirit of our age and a pugnacious narcissist then build me an ivory tower. If I'm misguided because I've spent time exploring the depths of "Nebaraska" and "Ghost of Tom Joad" then buy me a compass. Don't get me wrong, I may know every word to Joel's Greatest Hits 2 and "She's always a woman to me" is a fine tune, but to compare anything Joel wrote to "Born to Run" or "Thunderoad" is like comparing Spam to Foie Gras...oops...so maybe I am an elitist.


The above argument sparked a series or absurd transitions. In an attempt to jump into our debate about Bruce, Molson unironically starts singing "litte ditty about Jack and Diane..." I almost shat.
Then Ms. Texas says, "no that's not Bruce Springsteen, that's Jon Bon Jovi. I love Jon Bon Jovi"
Then I say "it's not, Bon Jovi. But that guys sucks too." Then Wise-up gets on my case. Who knew he was a closet Bon Jovi fan. This world isn't safe.


It snowed big wet flakes on my ride home.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Having grown up in Connecticut and New York, I was just about issued Springsteen/Joel albums in the mail. While Billy may be a ruler of east-coast rock, the Boss is well..the Boss. If you want a little tune to sing loadly and drunkenly with your friends in a bar, call Billy Joel. If you want real poetry and melodies that mean something and will stand the test of time in a Dylan kind of way, call Bob Dylan, then cal Bruce Springsteen.
I just had to interject.

11:08 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I meant loudly, but that plus drunk is loadly.

11:09 AM  
Blogger Catfish Vegas said...

Stop associating with anybody who in any way thinks Billy Joel, Mellencamp or Bon Jovi are even in the same universe as Springsteen.
Really, just tell 'em to fuck off and take your elitist ass on out of their presence. You'll be better for it.

1:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Swede you seem upset about something

4:26 PM  
Blogger Joe M. said...

Fuck you. You're an elitist. Billy Joel all the way.

Gaaaaaaayyyyyyy.

10:07 PM  
Blogger Joe M. said...

PS: My mom almost hired Billy Joel's band, The Hassel, for her high school prom. Springsteen... Iowa? No connection.

My mom is awesome.

10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home