Friday, January 27, 2006

It's "found art" day, here at Which Echoes. I'm bored at work and don't have any pictures to upload so I've decided to share some of the found art I have collected around the internet. Welcome to my gallery!
I must begin my discussion of art by giving thanks to Bob Ross. Bob Ross had a profound effect on my sense of beauty, respect for nature, and my growth as a human being. I just loved it when he dried off the brush by whacking it back and forth on the easel. Lord knows he like it too. He took joy in simple acts and "happy little bushes." Thank you Bob.

Is the night sky art? The answer is "yes." When man invented the telescope they only wished to see things further away, but the telescope brought us colors and patterns we never imagined. Its almost as if the telescope has a dual nature. It's a telescope to the scientist and a kaliedescope to the artist. If there is a God I will thank him first for the stars.

Is a mushroom cloud art? Yes. How awesome. How terrible. If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the mighty one... It's interesting to note as the U.S. flirts with the idea of taking action against Iran for producing nuclear weapons that Oppenheimer thought that nuclear weapons would bring peace. He reasoned that the idea of a nuclear war is too terrible to even consider, thus, no more war. Huh. I think his conclusion rests on the invalid premise that these decisions are made by sane men.

I found this on slate.com. I wish is was a rug on my floor.

This is a photo taken by my dear dear friend Doug Tewksbury. You can see this photo and many more like it at dougtewksbury.com. I love this photograph because of its charm. Some how this brokendown old truck just makes me smile. He took this picture on his solo tour of Guatelmala and Belize. Doug is an outstanding traveler. Some of my fondest memories are of traveling with him through Spain, France and Scotland.


Is sports art? Yes. Reggie Bush adds a little extra something to this touchdown run by leaping three or four feet in the air to evade a tackler. Guys like Reggie Bush bring art to sports by adding grace to a physical act. The best athletes can do this. A Michael Jordan slam dunk. A Steve Nash pick and roll. A Joe Montana 30 yard pass, caught one-handed by a diving Jerry Rice. An Ozzie Smith double play. A Randy Johnson shutout. As much as I crave the moment sports become art I would note that I think USC lost to UT because Bush, Leinart and Carroll put to much focus on the aesthetics. Sometimes you just have to get the job done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home